Instead of dyeing birds’ eggs this Easter, try frosting egg-shaped cookies. No stains and no shells. It’s more fun for you and the birds!
Easter Sugar Cookies with Frosting
1/4 of a 15-ounce tub of Earth Balance
1 1/4 cups Sugar
3/4 cup Almond Milk or Soy Milk
1/2 tablespoon Vanilla, Almond, Coconut, or Lemon Extract
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
4 cups Flour
Powdered Sugar, Almond Milk or Soy Milk, Fruit Juice (dark)
1. Beat Earth Balance and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Add milk and extract and stir.
3. Sift baking powder into flour.
4. Slowly add flour mixture to Earth Balance mixture while stirring, until just blended.
5. Roll the dough into a log and wrap with parchment.
6. Add a layer of plastic wrap, carefully seal it, and refrigerate for at least a few hours. (May also be frozen.)
7. Heat oven to 350 F.
8. Remove dough from the refrigerator and remove the wrapping.
9. Slice thick cookie discs and place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Squeeze discs into egg shapes.
10. Bake 18-20 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
11. Thoroughly mix an ample amount of powdered sugar with a wee bit of milk and an even wee-er bit of juice.
12. Spread frosting on cookies.
Happy Easter to us and our feathered friends!