Simple and easy dish to fight the cold weather, or if you’re where it’s hot, a dish to turn up the heat even more. SPICY!
Feel free to omit either the rice or the potatoes if you prefer one starch at a time. Also feel free to adjust the pepper to your tolerance level (I lean toward HOT and SPICY) and add other vegetables.*
6 cups Water
2 cup dry Lentils
2 cups diced starchy Potatoes
2 cups chopped Onions
2 teaspoons Cumin Powder
1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 teaspoons Sea Salt
4 cloves of Garlic, chopped
chopped fresh Cilantro
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salted, Cooked Rice
1. Put the first 3 ingredients into a large pot, cover, and bring to a boil.
2. Cook according to lentil package directions, until tender. Remove pot from heat.
3. Put enough oil in a frying pan to easily coat the bottom, and turn to low. Add the cumin, turmeric, pepper, and salt. Stir constantly for a couple minutes. Do not scorch.
4. Add the onions and garlic to the frying pan and stir thoroughly.
5. Turn off the heat, cover with a lid, and let sit about 10 minutes. In the meantime, have a beer. Then scrape the spiced onions into the lentils and potatoes.
6. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cilantro and pepper flakes.
7. Serve with rice and beer.
*You can also add tomatoes, if you’d like.